Active And Passive Voice Examples For All Tenses
Active And Passive Voice Examples For All Tenses
Do you want to learn more about active and passive voices? Studying examples of active and passive sentences can be an excellent way to understand under which rules these sentences are built. These example sentences will be very useful for you if you want to examine the changes in auxiliary verbs and general verb structures of sentences. If you want to know about the change of active and passive sentences in different tense patterns in the English language, start examining the sentences below immediately.
Present Simple Tense Active Passive Sentence Examples
While trying to form a passive sentence in the present time, we have to add the verbs am is and are auxiliary. Let’s take a look at the sentences below.
1 – He drinks a glass of milk every morning, so he feels very healthy throughout the day.
Every morning, a glass of water is drunk by him, so he feels very healthy.
2- During the day, he uses a bicycle on his way from home to school, so he manages to keep his form.
During the day, while going from school to home, the bike is constantly used by him, so he manages to keep his shape.
3- It helps me whenever I need something, so I want to help it.
Whenever I need something, I am helped by him, so I want to help him.
Present Continuous Tense Active Passive Sentence Examples
In Present Continuous Tense, we use the word being in active and passive sentences. In this way, we add passive meaning.
- We are currently trying to repair the phone using this pen, hopefully we can achieve this and fix our problem shortly.
Currently this pen is being used by him to repair the phone, I hope he can achieve it and our problem will be solved in a short time.
- As always, Ellisa is currently eating an apple. This is an indication of how healthy he is.
As always, an apple is being eaten by Ellisa. This is an indication of how healthy he is.
Present Perfect Tense Active Passive Sentence Examples
We use perfect tense when talking about situations that have happened before but still continue to affect. In doing so, it is necessary to add words like have and has to the sentence.
- For the rest of the day he felt very free and his motivation increased as he finished his job immediately.
He felt very free and motivation increased for the rest of the day as the work has been finished by him immediately.
- The little girl has written a total of 5 poems so far, which shows how successful she was in developing her hobbies.
So far 5 poems have been written by the little girl, which shows how successful she was in developing her hobbies.
- She made a cake yesterday and the cake was so delicious that everyone thanked her very much.
Yesterday a cake has been made by him, and the cake was so delicious that he has been thanked by everyone.
Past Simple Tense Active Passive Sentence Examples
If we want to create a passive meaning in simple past tense sentences, what we should use would be and were. You will find detailed information below.
- He bought a car yesterday and therefore felt very happy throughout the day. So we are glad too.
A car was bought by him yesterday and he felt very happy all day long. So we are glad too.
- Yesterday Sally has redecorated all the walls and floor of the house. The house looks much different and beautiful than before.
Yesterday all the walls and the floor of the house were redecorated by Sally. The house looks much different and beautiful than before.
- Thank you very much for helping me yesterday, I was really relieved during the day.
Thank you very much for I was helped by you yesterday, I was really relieved during the day.
Past Continuous Tense Active Passive Sentence Examples
What we need to do in the use of Past Continuous Tense is to add passive meaning to the sentence by using the word been again. As long as we can do this, the sentence can be much more clearly understood.
- When I saw her yesterday, she couldn’t wash the clothes, instead she was listening to music and dancing. He was very happy.
When I saw him yesterday, the laundry was not washed by him. Instead, the music was listened to by him, and he was dancing. He was very happy.
- They were sitting together around a table and singing. They were also eating while singing.
They were sitting together around a table and the song was being sung by them. The dinner was been also eaten by them while singing.
Past Perfect Tense Active Passive Sentence Examples
In the past, active or passive sentences can be created with the use of perfect tense. In order to do this, you need to use the phrase had been used while editing the sentences. In this way, you give the sentence the meaning of the requested time. Let’s look at the example below.
- He had won the game we have played before yesterday, the name of the game was Taboo.
The game we have played before yesterday had been won by him, the name of the game was Taboo.
- He is a really interested person in collecting, for example he has collected coins over the years. We love this feature.
He is really interested in collecting, for example, coins had been collected by him over the years. We love this feature.
- I broke a pen two days ago and unfortunately I have to go shopping.
Two days ago, a pencil had been broken by it, so unfortunately I have to go shopping.
- He bought a notebook yesterday, so he started working today.
A notebook had been bought by him yesterday, so he started working today.