English Grammar; Using Another, The other, Other in English
Another is used with singular countable noun. It means one more, an alternative. It is nonspecific.
- “Give me another
book,” he said.
- I hear that her mother is in anothercity.
- She has another
Using The Other
The other is used with singular noun, plural noun, countable noun or uncountable noun. It means second of two things, people or animals.
- Did you see the other book that I bought?
- Mary and Samuel are here, but where are the other kids?
- She walked around to the otherside.
Other is used with plural or uncountable noun. It means different, additional or extra. It is nonspecific.
- We’re married to each other.
- I want you to return the book I lent you the otherday.
- Apple doesn’t provide technical support for apps created by other