Using Would rather, Had better, Prefer in English
Would rather; is use to say that one person would prefer another or others to something. Would rather is followed by the bare infinitive and than.
- I would rather have coffee than tea.
- I would rather not go out tonight.
- I would rather watch the movie at home.
- I would rather have breakfast.
Prefer; In contrast to ‘would rather’ prefers refer to general preference, not current ones. Prefer is followed by a verb in the -ing form and ‘to’.
- I prefer bicycle to motorcycle.
- Do we prefer drinking tea to coffee ?
- They would prefer you coming tomorrow.
- I prefer working to doing nothing.
Had better; is used to give advice. It is romed with the bare infinitive (without to). Follow the list for examples;
- Had we better let him know?
- They had better choose a cheaper hotel.
- You had better not cry.
- We had better review all subjects before the math exam.