English How to use will and be going to in English, Differences Between “Will” and “Be going to”
USE OF THE FUTURE TENSES
If we make a prediction, we can use “will” or “be going to”.
- There will/ is going to be be a rise in prices after the elections.
- He will/is going to have an accident if he doesn’t drive more carefully.
If we are talking about a pre-designed, planned situation (prior plan), we should use “be going to”. This is literally “going to”, not usually used for inanimate beings.
- Why do you have to buy this material?
- I’m going to make a skirt for myself.
- Why is your dog digging in that corner?
- Oh, he is going to bury his bone there.
We express a situation that we are willing to do in a subject that we have just learned with “will ”.
- I don’t have any money.
- Don’t worry. I’ll lend you some.
- If there are signs that an event will occur, “going to” is used.
- The sky is very black. It is going to rain.
Commonly used time envelopes with these tenses are envelopes such as tomorrow, next week, next month, in two days, in ten minutes, soon.
- She will graduate in three years.
However, according to the present time, many future envelopes can be used with these tenses.
- I’m not going to have breakfast this morning.
We describe actions that we have planned in the past but which we could not do for various reasons.
- I was going to visit my parents last night, but just as I was leaving home, some guests arrived, so I couldn’t.
FUTURE TENSE IN TIME CLAUSES
- Before, after, as soon as, once, when, until are used in envelopes.
- After I do some shopping tomorrow, I will go to the park.
Although both actions will take place in the future, as shown in the example above, will ”or“ going to ”is not used in the clause. It is used in the basic sentence. While is also a connector that can be used with future tense structures.
Here is example sentences with will and be going to;
- I have got a flight ticket to 3 o’clock tomorrow. I‘m going to fly to England.
- They have made reservations for their summer holiday. They’re going to spend their holiday in London.
- Jully is calling her friends for breakfast. She is going to make a delicious breakfast tomorrow.
- I will fly to England. ( I don’t have a flight ticket or reservation. )
- We will see you again. ( just We think to see you again in future, there is no a definite or exact date or plan )
- She will be a doctor. ( She is not a university students but she wants to be a doctor in future )