What is The Adverb? Form of Adverbs, Definition and Example Sentences
When using the English language, we unconsciously use many words and phrases. Using these words and phrases correctly and enriching your sentences will allow you to speak English more accurately. It is necessary to use such words intensively, especially when making a presentation or preparing homework. Today, we will discuss what is an adverb with you. Adverbs, when added to the sentences, are the words that give information about how the predictions in the sentence are performed. If you remember, when we dealt with adjectives before, we mentioned that adjectives describe nouns. It is possible to say that adverbs characterize the verbs.
Adverbs Of Time Using and Examples in English
In order to use the adverbs correctly and to find out which word is the adverb in the sentence, we first need to ask the “How” question. As you see different examples in the continuation of the article, ask the question “How?” and easily find the adverb in the sentence.
The Difference Between Adverbs and Adjectives
To understand adverbs, you first need to understand the differences between adverbs and adjectives. Because these two word groups are often confused with each other. I have already mentioned that adverbs describe verbs and adjectives characterize nouns. In our content today, we will see two examples of this together with you.
- Your red car is running really fast. ->> In this example, we see that red is used in order to specify the ‘’car’’. This means that ‘’red’’ is an adjective.
- Your house is thoroughly cleaned. ->> In this example, we see that a passive voice is used. Remember that it does not matter whether the passive or active voice is used while you are trying to find the adverb. Here, the action is ‘’cleaned’’. So we ask to the sentence ‘’How was the cleaning?’’. Then we easily get the answer: ‘’Thoroughly’’. This is our adverb.
The Form of Adverbs
When you examine the variety of adverbs in general, you can see that almost all of them end with -ly suffix. This suffix is used specifically for the adverbs phrase. If you are confused about which word is an adverb in a sentence, search for this suffix in the sentence and find adverbs in this way.
Adverbs varieties should generally be completed with -ly suffix. Here are some examples of such words.
- Yesterday I was listening to music pleasantly while making tea.
- While watching the series, he quickly drank hot tea.
- As he walked out of the house, he quickly closed the door.
- Anxiously they returned home because they forgot the key at home.
- I apologize for talking roughly while communicating with you on the phone.
Some types of adverbs are unfortunately not regular. Therefore, you may not be sure about how these words should be converted into adverbs. We will talk about such phrases with you under this title. Various mistakes are frequently made in English on this subject. Try to memorize these words in order not to make mistakes while you are trying to speak:
- The team communicated and played well during the match. ->> The word well you see in this example may seem foreign to you at first. This word is, in fact, the word good has become adverb. There is no canonical transformation between the first and second versions of this word. So you need to memorize it.
- You drive really fast. ->> When you examine this example, you can easily notice that the word describing the verb to drive is “ fast ”. But as you can see, in this example no suffix was added next to the word fast. Because the word fast is an example that can be used both an adverb and adjective in its plain form.
- I came early because I did not want to miss the class. ->> In this example you have noticed that the word describing the verb to come is “early”. Adverbs and adjective forms of this word are exactly the same. Therefore, you can easily use this word in the same way. If you memorize such words, you can use the most correct forms without having to think in everyday life.
- You are talking low, I cannot hear you, honey. ->> In this example, you see the verb to speak. This verb became qualified with the word low. The word low used here can be described as an adverb. The word low, like the two different words we have listed above, is the words that have the same adjective form. Therefore, you can easily use this word.
- She seems pretty, I really liked her. ->> Many people may not realize that the word pretty is used as adverbs. But in this example, we see that the word is used directly to be an adverb. Appearing here has become qualified with the actual pretty. In this way, the meaning intensity of the sentence increased. The word pretty is used in the same form as both nouns, adjectives, and adverbs.
- You have told that enough, please stop! ->> When this example sentence is examined, we see that the verb to say in the sentence is qualified with enough. The word Enough can also be used in different ways in the same form. You do not need to use this word with the extra suffix.
We have mentioned the most important features of adverbs. You can check these features and go to the other articles for more information.