English Complex Sentences, Definition and Examples
The structure consisting of a series of words describing emotions, thoughts and situations is called a sentence. The sentence types differ according to their meanings, structures, verb location and verb type. There are various sentences in English according to their structures. These are divided into simple sentences, compound sentences and complex sentences. In a simple sentence, usually at least one subject is a verb, an object, and sometimes an indirect object. These words make meaning when they come together.
Simple sentences can also be called single verb sentences. Simple sentences take a verb and are not gerundial, except for a verb. As an important note about simple sentences; simple sentences do not mean short sentences, they are just a verb and one judgment.
For example: I will go to school tomorrow.
I saw her at school this morning.
In compound sentences, two or more sentences are connected by one or more conjunctions. In linked sentences, more than one sentence is compound sentences to each other with conjunctions like but, because and and.
For example: I learned English perfectly because I will go abroad to do a master’s degree this summer.
Complex sentences are referred to as an main clause and subordinate clause one sentence. Even if a subject and a verb are found in a sentence, that sentence does not make mean. When these clauses are connected to a main sentence with a conjunction or a pronoun, it can make meaning.
Some sample sentences for the complex sentence subject are given below:
- Don’t leave the restaurant until the dishes here are washed.
- While playing football, the ball thrown by my friend hit the boy crossing the street.
- Elissa was very sick today and we will take her to the hospital now, before she gets worse.
- Even after all these years, when I saw her, I was as excited as the first day.
- The game we went to at the mall today was so much fun no matter how long it lasted.
- Although he wanted to study abroad, he could not go because his father did not want him to go.
- I saw him going to work in the morning when I was going to school.
- While I was cooking he was still playing games on the computer.
- Although I miss him so much, I cannot go to him because I do not have money.
- Although I worked hard, I got a very low grade from the exam and stayed in the classroom.
- Although my friends begged me, I chose not to go to the reunion.
- I learned English perfectly because I studied very hard.
- Many people enjoyed the movie; however, Alex did not.
- Although the farmer is ready, the ground is still too wet to plow.
- If the ozone layer collapses, the global community will suffer.
- Although I’m not very good, I really enjoy playing football.
- I’d like to see the North Pole, but I will never go where it is that cold!
- Because he did not know the route well, he drove slowly.
- Walking through the wood, he saw a fox that was following him.
- When Uncle Samuel comes to town, we all have a good time.