How To use Using FOR and SINCE in English
- We use FORto talk about a length of time, a period of time.
- We use SINCEto talk about a point in the past, a specific point in time.
Using For in English
- I have worked here for 8 years.
- You have played football for ten years.
- We have taught at this school for a long time.
- He has been a student for eight years.
- They’ve been married for 30 years.
- She has been in prison for 6 months.
- I haven’t been on holiday for ages.
Using Since in English
- He has lived here since 1993.
- They have been at the hotel since last week.
- I haven’t ridden a horse since I was 9.
- You have worked here since you left your school.
- I haven’t been on holiday since last year.
- Since his wife went away, he has been waiting for her.