10 examples of modals, Definition and Example Sentences
Ability, doubt, astonishment, permission, Polite request
- I can play the football.
- Can I go out tonight?
Permission, if not prohibition, supposition with doubt
- It may rain tomorrow.
- May I go to the bathroom?
Obligation, firm necessity, logical conclusion, probability
- He must be her brother.
- You must study today.
- You shall pay on Saturday.
- Shall I help you?
Wish, desire, will, confidence, in the future
- I will give you a gift.
- I have asked him but he will not come.
6. OUGHT TO
Moral duty, insistent advice, strict recommendation
- I ought not to go out today.
- You oughn’t to tell lies.
- I need to talk to her.
- You needn’t buy a gift for me.
8. BE TO
Obligation arising out of arrangement or agreement
9. HAVE TO
Unwillingness, forced circumtances
- I have to wait.
Wish (with “to like”), polite request, a habit of the past
- I would play the tennis when I was a child.
- How about going to the circus tonight? It would so funny.
- We are going to breakfast. Would you come? Yes, I would.