English Modal Verbs Would, How to Use Modal Verbs;
THE MODALS ‘WOULD’
Would is used as the past tense of will and going to. Would is used as an auxiliary verb in English. We would use it to refer to the repetitive actions we used to do. It is also used with the words would, would like, would love, would prefer and would rather.
- I hoped you would, why did not you?
- I would love to eat soup.
All Modal Verbs in English
It is also used with the words would, would like, would love, would prefer and would rather.
- I would play the tennis when I was a child.
- How about going to the circus tonight? It would so funny.
- We are going to breakfast. Would you come? Yes, I would.
In the past, when talking about the future, the sentence would be used. Would is the form of ‘will’ or ‘going to‘ auxiliary verbs used in the past tense.
- We knew he would be a doctor even when he was a little boy.
- I knew I would win college this year.
- I thought it would rain and I took my umbrella with me.
In the reported speech sentences, would also mean the past tense of future modes.
- He said that he would buy any bread.
Would is also used in conditional statements.
- If I had not stayed with them tonight, they would be offended.
- If you ate less, you would be weaker.
We would use it to express our wishes and tendencies.
- Would you want some wine?
Polite questions and polite requests expressed in the sentence would be used. It is also used to respond politely to suggestions.
- Could you open the door, please?
- Could you go up five minutes, please?
- Would be used when making a wish.
- I miss him so much, I wish he could not.
- I could not win college this year, I wish I had worked more.
Here are example sentences with WOULD;
- I could play a guitar when I was a child
- I could smell something burning.
- Would you hand me the pencil?
- Would you help me?
- I would help you with Spanish.
- They would go to the movies if you are interested.
- If I had a car, I would drive around the world.
Future in The Past
- She promised she would tutor me.
- She said that she would be help them move next month.