English modals; Could Have V3 and Example Sentences
Using Could Have V3
- to express that you were able to do sth in the past, but you didn’t want to do it. ( for criticism)
- to express that you want to make a guess about something that happened in the past. (just talking about opinions)
- to express that sth was possible in the past but it didn’t happen.
- He could have stayed up late to finish his project, but he decided to go to bed early.
- “Where’s David?” “We don’t know, but he could have gone home.”
- Why did you play with that gun? You could have killed yourself.