How to Use Could and Example Sentences in English Grammar
Using ‘could’ as a modal verb in the past
1. We use to talk about possibility in the past.
- He could have been a doctor.
2. We use to talk about past ability.
- When I was young, I could swim.
3.We use to talk about possibility in the past but it didn’t happen.
- She could have been famous but she did not want to.
4.We use the expression how could you/he/…? to show disapproval
- How could you leave me?
5.We use to talk about impossibility in the past.
- I couldn’t have left my pen at school.
6.We use when reporting clauses with can as past events.
- He told me he could fall in love with me. ( I can fall in love with you)