20 Proverbs Examples in English
What is Proverb?
There are some sentences that, even from the past, still have their meaning and are still usable. These sentences are very different from ordinary sentences. They are sentences arising from the results of events or situations encountered in the past. If a more detailed explanation is required; They are sentences that show past thoughts, results of events, and advice given at the appropriate time, and are in the form of a template. This definition is the definition of the proverb. Proverbs are important and necessary. This is because proverbs reflect people. Proverbs are very diverse. It can be used in any event or situation we live in. The fact that it comes from the past to the present and that it will continue from today to tomorrow is an indication that proverbs continue from generation to generation.
Here are 20 Proverbs;
1. Leaves without figs.
2. Let bygones be bygones.
3. Many words hurt more than swords.
4. Many words will not fill a bushel.
5. Self done is soon done.
6. The best fish smell when they are three days old.
7. The best fish swim near the bottom.
8. The best is oftentimes the enemy of the good.
9. Pleasure has a sting in its tail.
10. Plenty is no plague.
11. Politeness costs little (nothing), but yields much.
12. Poverty is no sin.
13. They are hand and glove.
14. They must hunger in winter that will not work in summer.
15. Things past cannot be recalled.
16. Think today and speak tomorrow.
17. The busiest man finds the most leisure.
18. The camel going to seek horns lost his ears.
19. There is no fire without smoke.
20. There is no place like home.