English How to use In spite of, Using In Spite Of in English, Example Sentences with In Spite Of
Using In Spite Of
” In spite of ” is used to describe an unexpected situation. Although, even though and though while connecting two sentences, ” in spite of ” does not connect two sentences. The name should come after “in spite of”. If full sentence has come, this structure cannot be used. This structure is used to describe an unexpected situation. There must be a contrast in the sentence. If the verb should come after this structure, the verb is converted to the name by taking the -ing tag. For example;
- In spite of the snow, he went out.
As you can see, after the use of “in spite of”, the name “snow” came.
In English, “in spite of” connects the name, the sentence and still gives meaning. They are never used when connecting two sentences. Some verbs are named after “-ing” and can be used as such. ” In spite of ” can be linked with two sentences by adding “the fact that” at the end.
The grammar structure of ”in spite of” is as follows;
Use at the beginning of the sentence: (In spite of) + (Noun) + (,) + (Sentence)
- In spite of all the difficulties, they helped us.
- In spite of the difficulties, we beat the opposing team.
Use of the sentence in the middle: (Sentence) + (In spite of) + (Noun)
- Next winter in spite of he did not want to give up.
Note: If ”in spite of ” is used at the beginning of the sentence, the name and the clause are separated by commas. “In spite of” is always brought before the name.
If there is a need to use a verb after the ‘in spite of’ connector, a -ing tag is put in that verb. For example;
- In spite of he was full, he decided to eating again.
If you need to use phrases after the ‘in spite of’ pattern, the in spite of the fact that structure is used:
- The school will certainly sell in spite of the fact that it’s overpriced.
Examples in spite of in a sentence;
- In spite of completing his master’s degree, he could not find a quality job.
- In spite of the artistic inadequacy of this theater play, they made good money.
- In spite of his comfort, is he not able to establish a good relationship at school?
- In spite of John had a good memory, he did not even remember the name of his first teacher.
- In spite of his brilliant intelligence, the lecture notes are very bad.