Examples of Gerunds, Gerund Phrases, Definition and Example Sentences
Table of Contents
Examples of Gerunds
It’s actually quite simple to make a sentence in English. Basically, you can easily set up simple sentences when you move by subject, verb, and object order. But most of the time, the job gets confused when it comes to using two verbs in a row. “Whis is after, which verb is first, is there another word in between?” Then, the value of infinitives and nouns emerges here. When you need to use two actions consecutively in a sentence, you must either add the -to suffix between the two verbs or add the -ing suffix to the second verb. Structures that you add to are called infinitive, and -ing is called Gerund form. Gerund, as the word meaning, has the meaning of noun-verb. Noun-verbs are also known as verb. It occurs when the verb takes -ing.
Using gerunds as the subject of the sentence:
- Eating bread is bad for people health.
- Learning a English language is like becoming another people.
- Hiking can be a very good activity for people body and soul.
- Surfing is too bad for you.
Using gerunds as the object of the sentence:
- Your favorite activity is reading articles.
- Tomas enjoy swimming.
- There is no sleeping.
Phrasel verbs followed by gerunds:
- I have to keep on trying.
- Celine can give up smoking cigarette.
- You look forward to returning school.
- I can’t put off going to the doctor.
The use of gerunds after prepositions:
- You will go to the cinema after having a shower.
- Tim should call me before coming cafe.
- Will is good at playing guitar.
Use of gerunds after possessive attachments:
- You listened to his speaking.
- They will celebrate Tommy’s winning the contest.
- His dancing was very nice.
Note: Some verbs take gerunds after them. Some of these verbs can then take both infinitive and gerunds. Some of the most important verbs used in this way are:
- Admit: She admitted taking the gold.
- Avoid: We should avoid looking at her face.
- Dislike: Tomas dislikes being criticized
- Hate: You hate waiting for them.
- Love: They love eating fish.
Using go + gerunds for adventure sports: When we describe adventure sports and individual activities, we use the gerunds structure after the verb go. For example:
- They go hiking once a two month.
- Elis can go swimming.
- We will go fishing this month.
- Robert must not go climbing alone.
- You must go hunting this summar.
- Let’s go snowboarding this holiday.
Gerund Example Sentences – gerunds after prepositions
1. Admit (to): The hardworking students admitted cheating in the math exam.
2. Adore: Your grandmother adores listening the Mozart of the waves.
3. Anticipate: Tommy anticipates getting a discount.
4. Appreciate: You appreciate they keeping silent.
5. Avoid: Angelica should avoid drinking too much tea.
6. Complete: His father completed reading “Game Of Thrones” in 6 days.
7. Consider: You sometimes consider living London.
8. Delay: The president delayed giving us a money rise.
9. Deny: The man denies committing the steal money.
10. Detest: My brother detests watching films.
11. Discuss: We discussed moving to a big office.
12. Dislike: Many students dislike being this movie.
13. Enjoy: Did Bilica enjoy spending time with his brother?
14. Endure: You can not endure her complaining all the day.
15. Fancy: Andreas does not fancy going to school parties.
16. Finish: The old gardener has not finished cutting grass for 2 days.
17. Give up: I should give up fastfood and consuming sweet.
18. Hate: Maria hates eating dinner.
19. Imagine: Can I imagine driving an Formula car?
20. Include: This man inclued being very alert and careful.
21. Justify: How did Celine justify her being innocent?
22. Mention: Do not mention going to this cafe again.
23. Mind: My sister never minds reading in a noisy place.
24. Postpone: I had better not postpone replying in a noisty cafe.
25. Practise: I need to practise cooking every month.
26. Quit: Ella will quit smoking cigarette in a week, you believe that.
27. Remember: I need to remember calling her coach three day ago.
28. Recollect – Recall: Do you recall reading to this article when they were family?
29. Recommend: You can easily recommed listening that dailymotion channel about horses.
30. Report: You reported cheating anyone in film whenever you saw it.
31. Resent: You boyfriend resent calling his like this.
32. Resist: You still resist using that laptop even after two years.
33. Risk: They risk losing their job or they will never up a stage.
34. Suggest : Elis suggests eating two plate of fish every week.
35. Tolerate: My family can not tolerate watching some film since my family are old.
36. Playing basketball has been your favorite sport branch since I was a two year.
37. Eating too much fish is not good for her body.
38. You understand her quitting.
39. Arden isn’t interested in looking for a old film.
40. They are capable of doing hard work.
41. You have no excuse for being early.
42. They are accustomed to having a small dinner.
43. The snow prevented to you from completing the article.
44. Tiguan is every time complaining about of having a toothache
45. Instead of studying, Tom went to London with some of his friends.
46. Thank you for listening me.
47. Saek insisted on being able to do all the things.
48. You believe in being hardworking at all day
49. Living in a New York is more amazing than living in a London.
50. Drinking tea in the evening makes her bones strong.
There are different grammar topics in English where you may need professional support from time to time. One of them is this subject we are dealing with. While working with noun-verbs and infinitives, it is necessary to better understand the rules and solve plenty of examples with someone whose native language is English. As with any English subject, it is absolutely necessary to emphasize this issue. The most important thing to know is to repeat the lessons and talk about the subjects learned in daily life in abundance.